Date:      Sat, 25 May 1996 02:46:07 +0100 (BST)
From:      " Stephen P. Butler" <stephen@dcs.rhbnc.ac.uk>
To:        Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
Cc:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: editors

On Sat, 25 May 1996, Michael Smith wrote:

> Yeah, and?  That's _how_ Ultrix is installed.  Just try remembering which
> Dectape the file you want is on (or how to rewind a TK50 before you've got
> 'mt' off it 8)

Don't you program the I/O port directly in binary in those
circumstances using something really primative like a nice set of
toggle switches? :-).  I don't actually know this though since I'm too
young :_-(.

Woo!  TK50 tape drives.  I don't suppose anybody has a working TK50
tape drive hanging around that they're using for propping a door open
or something?...  I've got a couple of IBM PS/2 model 60s that would
make great replacements :-). We've got a VAX (think it's a 6550 or
something) in the department that's just crying for a working tape
drive so I can cart it home on a low loader and install Ultrix 4.3 on
it!  Hell, no doubt it might even have several Megs of memory in it.
Incidently, one of the lecturers here is into computing history and we
had all sorts of ancient machinary lying around the place.  Anybody
heard of a Digico or something?

Anyway, since I must continue this tragic one-upmanship, I was
thinking of writing a boot program on a tape using a magnet and only
a pencil and a very long length of listing paper with which to perform
the necessary calculations.  I figure if I can do it, it ought to
become the new Unix initiation rite!

  Stephen.
|Stephen Butler                       |stephen@dcs.rhbnc.ac.uk |
|Computer Science Undergraduate.      |                        |
|Royal Holloway, University of London.|                        |