Date:      Fri, 12 Dec 2003 15:27:40 -0500
From:      "Eric W. Bates" <ericx_lists@vineyard.net>
To:        paul van den bergen <pvandenbergen@swin.edu.au>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ssh tunnels and Xvnc - (yes, I know... What? not again!?)

paul van den bergen wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have a situation that has not been fully addressed by the excellent
> documentation on getting ssh tunnels and remote X-windows display managers
> (like VNC) running. And my feeble brain is too damaged by the dreaded lurgy
> to make heads or tails of it.

VNC probably isn't what you want to run.  VNC is very useful and
interesting; but unlike Windoze, you don't need to take over the console
of your machines at work in order to use the FreeBSD machines.  I run an
X Server on my Win2k machine and tunnel X back from the remote machines.
  The ssh tunnels will daisy chain nicely from work1 to work2.

The X Server we use is decent (copy/paste can be a pain).  It cost us
$45/copy from labtam-finland.

I use VNC when I want to run a Windoze machine inside the firewall. I
run the VNC server on the Windoze machine I need to control from home.
The firewall is configured to block VNC. I ssh from home into a unix box
at work, and run the VNC client app on the unix box and connect to the
Windoze box.  The VNC client is an X client; so it's window is tunneled
back thru the ssh to my display at home.  It can be a bit sluggish; but
it works...