Date:      Wed, 14 Mar 2001 09:40:39 +0000
From:      simond@irrelevant.org
To:        Marc W <mwlist@lanfear.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: TrueType Fonts and 4.2

On Tue, Mar 13, 2001 at 10:16:18PM -0800, Marc W wrote:

>     ARGH!  I give up.
>
>     After a good three hours of fiddling, I remain unable to get
> truetype fonts working with FreeBSD 4.2 and its X server.
>
>     I tried the instructions in the FreeBSD handbook, except there is
> no "freetype" module in the /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/modules directory;  per
> mailing list archives, I've fiddled with xfstt, except xfstt refuses to
> find anything, no matter what is put in /usr/share/fonts/truetype; and
> xfs refuses to do anything except crash if i put
> /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TrueType in its search path in the config
> file.
>
>     Amazingly enough, ttmkfdir seems to work just OK and lets me create
> fonts.dir files no problems.
>
>     My understanding is that XFree86 4 (used in 4.2, I assume) is
> supposed to just 'work' with all this stuf ... ?
>
>     So, the question is:  What do YOU do to get TrueType fonts working
> in FreeBSD.
>
>     I'll do my best to put together a little mini-HOWTO when I'm done.
> I've seen tonnes of questions on this in the Mailing List Archives, but
> few answers :-)

OK, for a start, 4.2 only comes with XFree86 3.3.6, not v4 so it's not
really a surprise that the method you tried didn't work. The good news
is that it's not hard to set it up for 3.3.6 either, have a read of:
http://www.daemonnews.org/200011/truetype.html
I just did exactly this yesterday and now I can actually read all the text
in netscape :)

--
Simon Dick					simond@irrelevant.org
"Why do I get this urge to go bowling everytime I see Tux?"