Date:      Sun, 5 Dec 1999 10:55:32 +0100 (CET)
From:      Nick Hibma <hibma@skylink.it>
To:        Doug Barton <Doug@gorean.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Basic question about threads and SMP

Being multi-threaded has almost nothing to do with being
multi-processor. Multi-threading means that your application has
multiple threads of execution that are able to run simultaneously.

The multi-processing capability of your box means that 2 threads of
execution, be it a process or a thread within a process, are executed
_literally_ at the same time, and not in simulated concurrency like it
happens on a UP box.

Whether or not any application should be compiled with libc_r depends
solely on the application itself. And, as you suggest, that is decided
at build time. If applications support multi-threading they normally
come with a Makefile using libc_r.

Now, whether you want to multi-thread Apache is totally different issue

Nick

hibma@skylink.it
n_hibma@freebsd.org                                          USB project
http://www.etla.net/~n_hibma/