Date:      Thu, 26 Sep 2002 14:34:36 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        "Weston M. Price" <wmprice@direcway.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Unusual output from dmesg

> From: "Weston M. Price" <wmprice@direcway.com>
> Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2002 17:07:00 +0000
> Sender: owner-freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
>
> Hello,
>	I was doing some checking today and found the following as a result of
> running dmesg:
>
> config> di sn0
> No such device: sn0
> Invalid command or syntax.  Type `?' for help.
> config> di lnc0
> No such device: lnc0
> Invalid command or syntax.  Type `?' for help.
> config> di ie0
> No such device: ie0
> Invalid command or syntax.  Type `?' for help.
> config> di fe0
> No such device: fe0
> Invalid command or syntax.  Type `?' for help.
> config> di bt0
> No such device: bt0
> Invalid command or syntax.  Type `?' for help.
> config> di aic0
> No such device: aic0
> Invalid command or syntax.  Type `?' for help.
> config> di aha0
> No such device: aha0
> Invalid command or syntax.  Type `?' for help.
> config> di adv0
> No such device: adv0
> Invalid command or syntax.  Type `?' for help.
> config> q
>

> Can anyone tell me what is going on here? Thanks.

Well, almost certainly.

You installed FreeBSD on a system. You booted either the FreeBSD boot
floppy or the installation CD and went into the visual configuration
tool. You de-selected a bunch of things your system didn't have or need
to use for the install. You installed the system. You customized your
kernel and removed many devices not present or used on your
system. These include sn, lnc, ie, fe, bt, aic, aha, and adv.

The initial configuration from the floppy/CD created a system with a
/boot/kernel.conf that disabled all of these devices, but now that
these devices ar no longer present, they are errors.

To clean this up, edit /boot/kernel.conf and delete old entries. Don't
delete the terminating 'q'. Or, if you don't want anything in the
file, edit /boot/loader.conf and delete
'userconfig_script_load="YES"'. I believe that this will cause the
system to not run kernel.conf, but I have never tried this.

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)