Date:      Mon, 4 Nov 2002 13:10:07 +1100 (EST)
From:      =?iso-8859-1?q?Brett=20Harris?= <bsdbrett@yahoo.com.au>
To:        mmercer@nc.rr.com, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: speaker now makes buzzing noise...

Michael,

> However, I used GAIM and after a few messages from
> people, the speakers start
> buzzing and the only way I can stop it is to reboot.

You may find that the noise is your soundcard picking
up interference from your hard drives etc. Ive noticed
that if your CDrom/aux/mic inputs are turned up, they
will pick up interference. If you're not using your
mic/aux/cdrom etc inputs, you should turn them down.
Look at the man page for 'mixer', but from memory it's
something like:

mixer mic 0:0

I usually put similar lines in rc.local, one for each
sound 'device' I'm not using, as well as boosting the
treble to about 80 and the bass to 60, just for a
little more oomph :)

Hope this helped, its my first day on these lists :)

Brett Harris

http://careers.yahoo.com.au - Yahoo! Careers
- 1,000's of jobs waiting online for you!