Date:      Thu, 17 Oct 2002 08:38:26 -0400
From:      "Jud" <jud@myrealbox.com>
To:        spreng@insomniac.ch
Cc:        jfoobar1@yahoo.com, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Re: X problems, please advise helpless newbie

-----Original Message-----
From: Thomas Spreng <spreng@insomniac.ch>
To: "J. Foobar" <jfoobar1@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2002 13:27:30 +0200
Subject: Re: X problems, please advise helpless newbie

On Thu, Oct 17, 2002 at 01:24:43AM -0700, J. Foobar wrote:
> I have been unable to get X to start successfully.=20
> Hopefully I am overlooking something stupid.
>=20
> FreeBSD 4.6.2 on an Intel machine
>=20
> My graphics card is an Intel 82845G/GL.  I searched
> for info on the Intel site and it mentioned that this
> card is in the i810 class.
>=20
> >From my XF86Config file:
> Section "Device"
>     Identifier "Card0"
>     Driver "i810"
>     Chipset  "i810"
>     Card    "Intel i810"
> End Section
>=20
> I have added the agp_load=3D"YES" line to
> /boot/loader.conf and /dev/agpgart exists.
>=20
> 'startx' returns the following:
>=20
> --------------------------------
> (EE) GARTInit: Unable to open /dev/agpgart (Device not
> configured)
> (EE) I810(0): AGP GART support is not available.  Make
> sure your kernel has agpgart support or that the
> agpgart kernel module is loaded.
> (EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable
> configuration.
>
> Fatal server error:
> no screens found

have you checked for agpgard support in your kernel as mentioned
above in the startx output?

Add the following to your kernel -

device      agp

You can add some comments if you like -

# Video

device      agp          #Graphics card

Then recompile your kernel.  If it still doesn't work,
I guess something else is borked.  I usually have my
best success configuring X using the old-fashioned
xf86config command and working through the subsequent
question-and-answer.

Jud