Date:      Fri, 27 Feb 2009 14:02:27 -0800 (PST)
From:      Peter Steele <psteele@maxiscale.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Can sysinstall be run interactively to install onto a second drive?

> That's my problem in a nutshell ultimately--how do I tell sysinstall where my target root is? It impacts the whole
> session, including packageAdd commands.

I did a bit of snooping around the distribution and I see that each directory has a simple install script to install base, the kernel, manpages, and do on, and they all use DESTDIR to point to the location where the system is being installed. So I don't need to use sysinstall at all, I'll just call these install scripts directly and that will do exactly what I want...