Date:      Thu, 20 Mar 2008 17:21:18 +0100
From:      Roberto Nunnari <roberto.nunnari@supsi.ch>
To:        Norberto Meijome <freebsd@meijome.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Best way to achive email hosting for several domains

Hi Norberto.

Norberto Meijome wrote:
> On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 15:29:29 +0100
> Roberto Nunnari <roberto.nunnari@supsi.ch> wrote:
>
>> Now, everything works fine, but I'm a bit concerned with the
>> webmail login.. I'd like info@adomain.com to login with a
>> username equal to the email, but as the authentication in
>> horde is handled by imp, I'm not sure how to proceed with that..
>
> Hi Roberto,
> I try to avoid that beast of horde...but most webmail products that I've seen
> (including Horde, if memory doesn't fail me), simply make an imap connection to
> your server and pass on whatever auth you give to it.... IOW, whatever works
> for imap works with webmail.

Yes.. That's how it works now.. horde simply delegates to imp that
does the authentication to the imap server.. what I mean is that
as users unix accounts are named like aaa01, aaa02, aab01, but
they are mapped to email addresses like joe@adomain.com,
info@adomain.com and info@anotherdomain.com, I'd like to let
the user authenticate to the webmail using the email address,
and then have some piece of software map the email address to
the local unix account before attempting the auth process..
I found out that imp provides hook points to do this kind
of things and maybe I'll go that direction, but I just
would like to hear what other people are doing.. maybe
have aliases in /etc/passwd (ie different usernames, same UID/GID)?

Best regards.
Robi.