Date:      Tue, 7 Jun 2005 20:50:50 -0700
From:      "Sydney Hole & Owen Huffaker" <sydoh@fidalgo.net>
To:        <hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Version 4.4 sick and dying

Hello,
Wonder if you can give me a little advise.

 I don't have a background in freebsd.  I maintained a Unix V5 system years
ago and I have been called in to look at an installation that is ailing.
This system is a 4.4 version that is acting as a web server.  It has some
web functionality on it which was refreshing unusually slow.  They called me
and I came in to look at it.  I noticed that the logon was slow either
directly on the console or through telnet.  I suspected a hard drive issue.
Since the system had been running for some time, I shut it down and I ran a
hard drive test (Fujitsu drive and ran the proprietary fujitsu program) and
it failed. No backup and no tape drive.   They happen to have a few BSD
books around so I figured out how to add a disk in place of the cdrom and I
partition it with sysinstall.  Then I used TAR and I copied all of the file
systems to this new hard drive with exception of swap.  Also I used the
sysinstall and looked at the labels of the main (failing) drive and copied
down all the sizes of the slices.  I used a bsd 4.5 version on a separate
machine I had lying around and was able to partition and slice/label a brand
new drive with the same sizes as the old drive.  My intentions were to copy
the files to the new drive and then plug it in somehow.  I thought I had
some time.  This all happened on Monday.

Today the drive crashed.  I am wondering what the best way to proceed.  If I
am thinking (but really sort of guessing) about this correct, the new
machine has a 4.5 install on it and a drive that is sliced and labeled as
per the original. I know this because during the install it let me do the
partition and label and I took advantage of the opportunity.   Does it make
sense that I could put the backup drive in the new machine, and then mount
it, copy all the files to the drive I partition and then maybe put the drive
that I copied all the stuff to back in the original machine?  But I don't
know if I am going to run into trouble with existing files from the 4.5
install if they get overlayed or its going to be a big mess.

I also noticed in one of the books about a fixit program on the cd.  Would
it be best to use that, mount both drives (newly partitioned and the backup)
and copy stuff that way.  The books don't go into the fixit much, just
summary info.

I am going to try this tomorrow morning and wondered if you might have some
good advise.

I do have a copy of BSD 4.5 and 5.o from a FreeBSD Unleashed book by Michael
Urban and Brian Tieman.  I also have the absolute BSD by Michael Lucas.

Regards,
Owen