Date:      Fri, 21 Aug 1998 10:47:00 -0500
From:      "Steve Friedrich" <SteveFriedrich@Hot-Shot.com>
To:        "peter@sweda.com.hk" <peter@sweda.com.hk>, "questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: kindly help

On Thu, 20 Aug 1998 22:37:21 -0700 (PDT), questions-digest wrote:

>Hello
>
>i finished mininal installation.  and i want to install x-windows
>
>but i don't know how to connect to internet to install
>

>my step:
>
>login in:                root
>run                    /stand/sysinstall
>select                upgrade
>select                x-windows
>select                ftp site
>
>finally                it prompts the host name cannot be resolved
>

>it is different to my mininal installation.
>
>i cannot press  Alt-F1 to switch to other screen to run
>term
>atdt telephone no.
>

>and back to screen (F3) to install
>

>pls teach me how to do it

I'm guessing that you performed your initial install over the Internet and it spawned a ppp process on another virtual
terminal, which allowed you to connect to the Internet with your MODEM and you performed a minimal install...

Now you have to configure ppp yourself (go to /etc/ppp and set up the files, also see man pppd).  I suggest you
configure them so they support "demand dialing" a.k.a. "dial-on-demand".  This way, anytime you fire up netscape or
anything that wants access to the Internet, your MODEM will dial/connect...

Then prior to starting /stand/sysinstall, ensure a connection is established... (use a ping to your ISP).

Later, you can set up ipfw (IP firewall) to NOT cause a connection due to pings, and such other trivial stuff.  See