Date:      Sun, 10 Mar 2002 17:56:26 +0100
From:      Wilko Bulte <wkb@freebie.xs4all.nl>
To:        Mark Peek <mp@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org>, current@FreeBSD.org, gallatin@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Serial break into debugger broken from 'cu' on -CURRENT?

On Sun, Mar 10, 2002 at 08:49:16AM -0800, Mark Peek wrote:
> At 4:11 PM +0100 3/10/02, Wilko Bulte wrote:
> >On Sun, Mar 10, 2002 at 10:07:07AM -0500, Robert Watson wrote:
> >>
> >>  For the past couple of months, I've been working with a set of identical
> >>  test boxes from SGI which, for some reason, stopped responding to serial
> >>  break on the serial console.  I switched to the 'alternative break' option
> >>  in LINT, and things work fine.  I assumed it was actually some issue with
> >>  that particular batch of machines, since no one else had had a problem,
> >>  and I didn't really have time to follow up.  Yesterday, I brought online
> >>  two more crash boxes via serial console, both older TeleNet servers, and
> >>  noticed that neither of them respond to serial break over the serial
> >>  console using cu.  This leads me to wonder two things:
> >>
> >>  (1) Is serial break currently broken in -CURRENT
> >>  (2) Is serial break currently broken in 'cu'?
> >
> >I had similar experiences with tip trying to break into ddb on the
> >AlphaStation DS10 with -current. I thought it was just me ;-)
>
> Hitting ~# in tip worked fine for me with a -current CVSup'd from
> yesterday. However, it did stump me for a second until I realized I
> was initially escaping into SSH and not tip.

Let me clarify: the DS10 is running -current, the x86 that has tip running
is on -stable.

It could be that the DS10 was sufficiently catatonic to not react to
a break (how likely is that in the first place? I was looking at a hard
lockup). Now that I followed Drew's suggestion to

<quote>

I suggest reverting rev 1.61 of alpha/alpha/interrupt.c (eg, disable
interrupt thread preemption).  I'm on the west coast right now, away
from my alphas, but I had several buildworlds complete last week with
ithread preemption disabled.

Drew
</quote>

I have not seen a lockup anymore. I also had to take out options SMP
in order to get the kernel link.

W/