Date:      Fri, 3 Jul 1998 09:31:45 +0100 (BST)
From:      ruth moulton <ruth@muswell.demon.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        ruth@muswell.demon.co.uk
Subject:   Re: connecting NT and FBSD via tcp/ip over ethernet

Alexandre, and others,

I had posted a question about trying to connect NT and freebsd
over an ethernet, thanks for the replies.

I now have more information. My local net now consists of
a Solaris m/c, a Freebsd 2.1 system and an NT 4.0 workstation system.

Solaris and NT talk to each other using Internet protocols (e.g.
telnet).

Freebsd talks to niether - pings don't work in either direction.
However both Solaris and NT see the ARP messages from Freebsd and
put freebsds ethernet addresses in their tables.

and the ehternet card passes it's hardware tests, including talking
to the card in the NT system, so I'm confident the hardware is ok

I've tried the card with it's plug and play option both off and on,
and I'm using the UTP connector through a hub

So now I suspect the freebsd ethernet card driver:

the card is a Kingston KTC20NT1, which is supposed to be NE2000
compatable. I'm using the ed0 interface.
Is any one using this card successfully ? - what other cards
are people using ?

thanks
ruth

Ruth Moulton            ruth@muswell.demon.co.uk
Consultant

65 Tetherdown,
London N.10 1NH, UK     Tel:+44 181 883 5823