Date:      Mon, 09 Nov 1998 01:59:54 GMT
From:      mike@sentex.net (Mike Tancsa)
To:        rjent@rjent.pair.com
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: tar disaster recovery questions

On Sun, 8 Nov 1998 8:43:59 -0600, in sentex.lists.freebsd.questions
you wrote:

>Greetings,
>
>I am a rookie at disaster recovery and I have hade a machine crash and have rebuilt & recovered the
>mission critical data however I am a bit puzzled if I went about my recovery the correct way.
>
>To backup I am using:
>
>tar -cv /*
>
>to backup to the tape.

Using tar, I find the following switches a little more useful

tar -p -l -c -f /dev/nrst0 /
tar -p -l -c -f /dev/nrst0 /usr
tar -p -l -c -f /dev/nrst0 /var
and so on...

This backups the data onto tape in separate sections so you can
quickly fast forward to the required section

e.g.
mt -f /dev/rst0 rewind
to go the start of the tape
mt -f /dev/nrst0 fsf 1

will fast forward to the next record (in the above case /usr)

You also want the -p option to preserve permissions.

e.g.
tar -p -x -f /dev/nrst0

	---Mike
Mike Tancsa  (mdtancsa@sentex.net)