Date:      Sun, 26 Dec 2010 22:03:13 +0000
From:      RW <rwmaillists@googlemail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Updating.

On Sun, 26 Dec 2010 15:11:54 -0500
"Grant Peel" <gpeel@thenetnow.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Up to this point I have always updated (within a branch), by dropping
> to single user mode for everything.
>
> After running cvsup to obtain the new source, is it generally
> considered OK to run the maike buildworld in multiuser mode, or, are
> the dangers to doing this?

Personally,  I don't bother with single-user mode at all within
release branches. I do everything in multiuser mode and reboot
afterwards at my convenience. I've never had a problem, but I do check
UPDATING just in case there's anything abnormal.

I do it by the book when moving between releases branches though, and
reboot into single user mode after installing the kernel.