Date:      Thu, 24 May 2001 20:01:55 +0200
From:      Brad Knowles <brad.knowles@skynet.be>
To:        Chris Fuhrman <cfuhrman@tfcci.com>
Cc:        <colug@stones.wcbe.org>, <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Oracle DB Alternatives?  (WAAAAAAY Off-topic)

At 1:05 PM -0400 5/24/01, Chris Fuhrman wrote:

>  I don't have any personal experience with Sybase although we're open to
>  just about anything (except MySQL or anything that only runs on Microsoft
>  Operating Systems).
>
>  What are some of the pros and cons related to Sybase?

	I'm not a database guy, so I don't think that I am qualified to
answer this question.

	I can say that the entire AOL mail system is built around storing
messages in a huge distributed Sybase database (last I knew, it was
spread across 128 SGI Challenge L and XL primary database servers,
each with a dedicated backup server), and I'm sure that licensing was
a major issue behind this decision.

	I'm sure AOL has replaced the Challenge servers with something
else by now (O2000?), but at the time they were the biggest you could
get, and I'm sure that Oracle licensing costs would have literally
been on the scale of the entire budget for NASA.

	I know that my previous employer never really considered Oracle
at all, primarily for issues relating to licensing costs.  Any time
we needed a "real" SQL server (i.e., something that MySQL or
PostgreSQL couldn't handle), Sybase was what we used.

--
Brad Knowles, <brad.knowles@skynet.be>

/*        efdtt.c  Author:  Charles M. Hannum <root@ihack.net>          */