Date:      Thu, 27 Apr 2006 15:21:30 -0600
From:      "Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC" <chad@shire.net>
To:        Mark Edwards <mark@antsclimbtree.com>
Cc:        "questions@freebsd.org" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Intel Macs and FreeBSD?

On Apr 27, 2006, at 3:10 PM, Mark Edwards wrote:

> The Mac Mini is fast, small, quiet, and cheap.  Why is it not a
> good cheap server?

I would only be concerned about the disk depending on what sort of
server you are intending to have.  I do not know but assume that they
still use the laptop 2.5" drives which are not 24/7 rated.  Probably
doesn't matter for most home servers.  Lack of storage space unless
you start hooking up external drives.  What sort of server are you
intending?

I am actually thinking about using Mac Mini machines for IMAP and
SMTP front ends using NFS mounted backend storage due to their size
and low power draw.  I can stick many of them in the same place that
a 2U rack unit would go and with fans blowing data center A/C air
across them there should be no heat issues and with the backend NFS
storage, all the actual mail itself would be processed off-disk so
the disks would basically get no work out...

Chad