Date:      Tue, 15 Nov 2011 16:18:41 +0100
From:      Bernhard Froehlich <decke@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Baptiste Daroussin <bapt@freebsd.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD Ports <ports@freebsd.org>, Chris, Doug Barton <dougb@freebsd.org>, Rees <crees@freebsd.org>, Andriy Gapon <avg@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: [removed ports] sysutils/cpuburn

On 15.11.2011 16:07, Baptiste Daroussin wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 15, 2011 at 04:34:22PM +0200, Andriy Gapon wrote:
>>
>> Does anyone know good any alternative(s) for cpuburn?
>> If not, then I would like to request that this port be restored.
>> I am prepared to be designated as its maintainer and to host its
>> distfile (via my
>> FreeBSD account).
>>
>> Maintaining the port should be rather easy as it can not have any
>> security issues
>> by definition and at the moment there is no active upstream, so no
>> code changes
>> are expected.
>>
>> P.S. Sorry that I've missed its deprecation.  I haven't noticed the
>> activity until
>> I needed to use it at yet another system.
>>

> I often use sysutils/stress don't know if that fits your needs?

I've just noticed that cpuburn is gone and stress is not an alternative
for my task. Why? Because I use cpuburn to verify the undervolting
capabilities of AMD cpus's for sysutils/cpupowerd which needs to
explicitly hammer the CPU with MMX instructions and parallel with normal
CPU instructions while lowering vcore.

--
Bernhard Froehlich
http://www.bluelife.at/