Date:      Mon, 23 Aug 1999 08:35:16 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: "The Matrix" screensaver, v.0.2

> Kevin Day wrote:

> > If this is distributed as a fan based thing, the worst they'd likely do is
> > say "Take it down.". If this is on thousands of FreeBSD cd's, it could
> > become a financial problem if they want to take it far enough.
> >
> > This is just my opinion though, and not to be used as legal advice for
> > anyone. I just don't want FreeBSD to become a ball of intellectual property
> > infringements. :)
>
> Let me retract the Ghost in the Shell statement. I just checked, and
> my memory played tricks on me. It was a different letter effect. :-)
>
> Andrzej, can you somehow turn it into a parody? If you can make it
> into a parody, then it's legal.

Just make it a port, for crap's sake, and distribute it from Poland.
By the time WB's American lawyers work out where you are on the map,
the statute of limitations will have expired and you'll be fine.

But it's not going into the tree, no.  I think Kevin's point and the
experiences we had with Hasbro should already have convinced people of
that much.

--
\\  The mind's the standard       \\  Mike Smith
\\  of the man.                   \\  msmith@freebsd.org