Date:      Wed, 27 Jun 2001 23:57:57 -0600
From:      Chris Fedde <chris@fedde.littleton.co.us>
To:        "A. Tatsyuk" <alextats@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: about kernel

On Thu, 28 Jun 2001 06:57:06 +0300  "A. Tatsyuk" wrote:
 +------------------
 | Using Linux (Mandrake 8.0 distribution) I knew that to update my system I
 | just need to download new kernel from kernel.org and compile it (if the
 | kernel is not very changed) . But it's not all clear for me with FreeBSD. Is
 | it possible to update system by downloading only new kernel, or kernel and
 | system programs are not independent there?
 +------------------

The kernel may be maintained separately from the kernel within reason.
You have essentially three choices with freebsd.  -release, -stable or
-current.  Which you choose has a lot to do with your acceptance of risk.

If you do not have access to the FreeBSD handbook that came with
your installation you can find it at

    http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/

The specific details you might be interested in may be found at

    http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/current-stable.html

Good Luck

--
    Chris Fedde