Date:      Wed, 29 Aug 2012 09:00:55 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Richard Kojedzinszky <krichy@tvnetwork.hu>
To:        freebsd-xen@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: time jumps in xen amd64/hvm instance

Dear Xen users,

After some experiencing, I've found a soultion to my problem, I just share
it with you, and hope you wont get issues that I got.

Maybe, all experience is just true for my hardware, but it is not a
special one, it is a Supermicro PDSMi-LN4 board with a Q6700. I think
other parameters do not affect.

I had problems with time skews in the domU's, particularly with freebsd
systems. With HVM instances, hpet should be enabled for the vm, as it
keeps time ticking very precise. But I had issues, that caused time jumps
in a short time, and I've found it was related to the dom0's kernel
message 'Clocksoure tsc unstable'. So then, I've started my xen hypervisor
with clocksource=pit, and since then (around 1 week) I do not experience
such time jumps, or time skews.

Regards,

Kojedzinszky Richard
Euronet Magyarorszag Informatikai Zrt.