Date:      Fri, 19 Nov 1999 10:53:45 +0200
From:      Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
To:        Mark Hartley <mark@whetstonelogic.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: building netatalk-asun port

On Thu, 18 Nov 1999 09:57:50 PST, Mark Hartley wrote:

> During the make, it bombs out (after a few minutes of compiling)
> while trying to compile auth.c
>
> auth.c:145: des.h: No such file or directory

[...]

> I do not have the DES sources installed.  I originally set the
> machine up using MD5 passwords.

Have a look at the port's patches/patch-aa:

 # Location of the DES library and include files. Comment this out if you
 # don't want Randnum Exchange and 2-Way Randnum Exchange as allowable UAMs
 # for afpd. We expect libdes.a in $DESDIR/lib and des.h in
$DESDIR/include.
-DESDIR=/usr/local
+DESDIR=/usr

I would suggest doing this:

	make clean
	make patch
	vi work/netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.3/Makefile
	[comment out the line that begins with DESDIR, save and exit]
	cd ../..
	make

I haven't tested this myself, but you may get lucky.  Also, be aware
that there's at least one open GNATS Problem Report for this port:

Ciao,
Sheldon.