Date:      Fri, 24 May 1996 14:47:48 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Annelise Anderson <ANDRSN@HOOVER.STANFORD.EDU>
To:        rnordier@iafrica.com
Cc:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: editors, vi, documentation for newusers

Robert Nordier wrote:

:Annelise Anderson wrote:

> Given the discussion that has been going on here about vi and making
> things easier for new users, you might be interested in a guide I
> wrote for people new to both freebsd *and* unix.
>
> John Fieber has been working on integrating this into the handbook
> and I have asked him not include it in the sections on "unix basics"
> because it is not that, nor do I have the capability to contribute
> to that; it is rather a guide on a few essential tasks and some
> suggestions on navigation and sources of information that will help
> new users get acquainted with the system faster.  It is also not a
> guide on how to configure the system in any way.
>
> I have sent it to a few people who have indicated that they know
> little unix and they seem to have found it helpful (including the
> section on vi).  It also includes a simple description of getting
> ports from the cdrom.  In all areas it could be expanded, but the
> point is to give people enough to get along, not everything at once.
>
> John and I agree that the section on the ls commands should use
> standard unix commands and not the aliases, which is the only
> major change I think we are contemplating.
>
> My only qualification for writing this is the insight of a user
> new to both freebsd and unix not very long ago, which is about all
> I have to offer right now.
>
> Here it is (18k).
>
> [...]

:This seems a good, useful piece of documentation.  I just gave a
:copy to someone who has recently made the transition from another
:OS.  And he came back with a couple of "Gosh, I didn't know BSD
:could do that" responses.  (Using ScrollLock to recover what has
:scrolled off the screen, along with script(1), particularly impressed
:him.)

:On the whole, it almost seems a pity that this piece is going to
:be worked into the handbook.  For beginners, the handbook is
:indispensable as a reference, but mostly it isn't really light
:reading.  Maybe a few short pieces like this, kept separate somewhere
:in /usr/share/doc, would make a friendly intro for new users.

Ideally I think the new user should print it out before installing the
system...

Annelise

--
:Robert Nordier