Date:      Thu, 16 Mar 2000 16:37:02 -0700
From:      Ty Lammy <ty@lammy.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   4.0 on Dell Poweredge 6100/200 wont install

I'm trying to get 4.0 Release installed on a Dell Poweredge 6100/200.
This box has 4 Ppro procs with 128mb RAM.  It has dual onboard Adaptec
7880 SCSI controllers.

I cannot get the install to boot past the 'Waiting 15 seconds for SCSI
devices to settle'.  It boots without problem until it gets to this
point then it freezes hard, I can't even cntrl-alt-del to reboot.  I
also tried 3.4 with the same nogo results.  As far as troubleshooting
i've removed any conflicts in the kernel, no help.  Strange thing is the
ahc driver didn't even show up in the kernel config as an active driver
so I couldn't remove it from the kernel; it did show aha and aic
though.  I even disabled everything except the floppy and other
essentials and that didn't help.  Removed any SCSI devices that were
connected, no help.  There doesn't seem to be any way to disable the
onboard SCSI in the bios so I can't remove it entirely. I did disable
the adapter bios and that didn't help (I did get a message on boot
saying 'Host Adapter BIOS disabled. Using default SCSI parameters).
Here's a snippet of the bootup message regarding the onboard SCSI (with
adapter BIOS on):

ahc0: <Adaptec aic7880 UltraSCSI Adapter> port 0xfc00-0xfcff irq9 at
device 11.0 on PCI1
ahc0: Using leftover BIOS settings
ach0: aic7880 Wide Channel A, SCSI Id=7, 16/255 SCBs
ahc1: <Adaptec aic7880 UltraSCSI Adapter> port 0xf800-0xf8ff irq5 at
device 12.0 on PCI1
ahc1: Using leftover BIOS settings
ach1: aic7880 Wide Channel A, SCSI Id=7, 16/255 SCBs

BTW, how would I capture or pause this startup text?  Writing this down
is a bitch ;-)  And dmesg doesn't apply because the system doesn't even
boot.  Not sure what the 'using leftover bios settings' means.

I was able to get Redhat 6.1 on it with no problems but I can't stand it
so i'm hoping someone can deliver me from RH :-)  Thanks all!

-Ty

p.s. Here is some rev info on the 6100/200:
AMIBIOS 1.00.14CD0
BIOS Version A07
System backplane firmware revision 7