Date:      Mon, 6 Mar 1995 16:02:28 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Paul Richards <paul@isl.cf.ac.uk>
To:        ache@astral.msk.su (Andrey A. Chernov, Black Mage)
Cc:        davidg@Root.COM, rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com, sos@login.dknet.dk, bde@zeta.org.au, current@FreeBSD.org, jkh@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: backspace now broken (proposal)

> I agree with Rod and DG. Moreover, I already change russian keymap

Me too.

> to generate ^H, but IMHO it needs to be default case.
>
> I have following proposal:
>
> Backspace -> ^H
> Keypad Del, (NumLock off) -> 0x7F
> Grey Delete (near Insert and such) -> ESC [ K
>
> It is key space waste to have three 0x7F on one keyboard especially
> if 0x7F not used at all.

Exactly, this is just sheer stupidity since higher level applications can
differentiate between the different keys.

> Few words about Grey Delete: many years of PC tradition DOS/Windows/OS-2/etc.
> this key implements 'delete under cursor' function as opposite 'delete
> before cursor' Del meaning.
> This function well supported by ncurses & dialog and can be very useful
> into many applications for line editing purposes (russian keymap
> already do in that way). I dislike degradation of this key to Del too.

The input field of libforms uses exactly this behaviour that is well
established under DOS. People may disagree with this and if so I will change
it but the point is that under the previous scheme I could, now I cannot
bacause 0x7f is overloaded.

> All that I say is my point of view on _default_ behaviour.
> Because too many opinions exists, all three keys need to
> be at least programmable, so you can set what you like by simple
> kbdcontrol.

Absolutely.

--
  Paul Richards, FreeBSD core team member.
  Phone: +44 1222 874000 x6646 (work), +44 1222 457651 (home)