Date:      Fri, 28 Dec 2001 18:09:23 -0800
From:      Jeff Lasman <jblists@nobaloney.net>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: GPL nonsense: time to stop

Brett Glass wrote:

> Try "commercial." GPLed software cannot be commercial, because it
> cannot be the object of commerce. Yes, you can sell a disc with
> the software ON it for money, but you cannot license the software
> ITSELF for money.

I'm sorry to answer this so late; I was offline for about a week and
then had to catch up on "real" work <wry grin>.

I'm not sure I agree with you, Brett, and I'd like you to explain or to
point me in the right direction; it appears to me that you can
distribute GPL software any way you want, including commercially, as
long as you also make the source code available at no charge.  Am I
missing something?

The reason for my curiosity is Red Hat's pricing plan for some of their
new products, in the thousands-of-dollars range.  I'm wondering if these
disks can be copied and sold by others as so much other Red Hat output
has.

At the moment it's just an idle curiosity, but I'm always open to making
money <smile>.

Jeff
--
Jeff Lasman <jblists@nobaloney.net>