Date:      Thu, 28 Jan 1999 22:06:26 +0000 (GMT)
From:      "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@u.washington.edu>
To:        alissa bader <molbloo@interport.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: makeworld problems

On Thu, 28 Jan 1999, alissa bader wrote:

>runnning 2.2.7, trying to update to the latest stable release

Jordan Hubbard just made a recommendation on -stable that people not try
to do this unless they are seriously committed to being on the bleeding
edge. YMMV.

It's not that 3.0-stable is not stable. It's that upgrading and switching
to elf at the same time is yielding some difficulties.

If you must persist, I recommend grabbing the 3.0-RELEASE install floppy
and doing a binary upgrade to 3.0R. Then go to 3.0 stable from there.

Beware! You need new boot blocks. You need an ELF kernel. You need to fix
some devices which have changed names.

I think waiting until 3.1 is a very good idea.

Catchya Later,		|	Give me UNIX or give me a typewriter.
Jason Wells		|	http://www.freebsd.org/