Date:      Sun, 04 May 2008 17:10:34 -0700
From:      perryh@pluto.rain.com
To:        tijl@ulyssis.org
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: wine: notepad OK, others not

> > ... very shortly after starting the actual install I got an error
> > box:
> >

> >                              VISIO Setup
> >
> >    ! Tried to create an invalid path using 'A:\' and 'clipart.vs_'
> >

> > and it locked up the display so that CtrlAltF1 would not switch
> > to a text screen (although it did allow AltTab to bring up FVWM's
> > window list).  After clicking OK:
> >

> >                              Visio Setup
> >
> >                            i Setup failed.
> >

> > and it quit.
>
> Were there any messages printed in the terminal window?

No.

> What version of Visio is this?

3.0.  Long before M$ took it over, so it should be just a generic
Win32 app with no secret M$ tricks.

> You might also want to try on a Linux system if you have that
> somewhere, just to see if it works there.

If I had a Linux system set up, I'd have tried this there in the
first place.

> Also, you should really take this to the wine-users@winehq.org
> mailing list. The people there should know more about this than
> here on a FreeBSD mailing list.

I suppose I can try it, but I wonder how much interest there will
be on a wine list in supporting FreeBSD.  At a minimum I suppose
they'll want to know if it still breaks on the latest wine version,
and I'll have no way to find out since the FreeBSD port doesn't
support the latest wine version.

In any case, it seems FreeBSD should not be allowing a port -- any
port -- to lock out CtrlAltF1.