Date:      Tue, 22 Apr 1997 11:30:08 -0600
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        gibbs@plutotech.com, jdc@denver.net
Cc:        hardware@freebsd.org, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Yet another Adaptec 2940UW problem :(

At 10:32 AM 4/22/97 -0500, gibbs@plutotech.com wrote:

>You should try installing from releng22.FreeBSD.org as that has the latest
>version of the aic7xxx driver which should fix most of your problems.

Is this the version of the Adaptec driver included in 2.2.1-R? Or is there
yet a newer version of the SCSI code with still more fixes?

I've got one machine without any SCSI drives running 2.2.1-R, but I'm
waiting to hear that Adaptec SCSI support is rock solid before using 2.2.X
on a machine with SCSI drives. So far, I've seen complaints of problems
with SCSI CD-ROMs, so I've held back.

Is there a 2.2-STABLE branch yet? When is the next 2.2.X release likely to
occur?

Finally (I know I'm full of questions this morning), why are there so many
problems with the Adaptec 29XX series of adapters and motherboard chips on
all platforms (not just FreeBSD)? With all the bug reports involving this
chip on Linux, FreeBSD, NT, Windows, etc. I'm getting wary of purchasing
them, despite their popularity.

--Brett Glass