Date:      Wed, 30 Jan 2002 18:37:26 -0500
From:      mh <mheyes@concentric.net>
To:        Joe Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, gnome@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: can't build Evolution: Solution?

Joe Clarke wrote:

[SNIP]

> I still have XFree86 4.1.0_12 with:
>
>         28:-lfreetype.6 => /usr/X11R6/lib/libfreetype.so.6
>         171:-lfreetype.7 => /usr/local/lib/libfreetype.so.7
>         204:-lfreetype.8 => /usr/local/lib/libfreetype.so.8
>
> Evolution 1.0.1 builds and runs just fine for me.  I will admit I just
> rebuilt all my GNOME ports recently to work around some other problems.
> However, freetype2 never gave me any direct problems as far as I can
> tell.

Yes, when I was using the XFree86-4-1.0* port (as it looks like you
are), /usr/X11R6/lib/libfreetype.so.6 was provided by the port. I
deinstalled XFree86-4.1.0* and installed the XFree86-4-clients,
XFree86-4-libraries, and XFree86-4-Server ports after reading in FreeBSD
Diary (http://www.freebsddiary.org/xfree86-4.php) that the port in
/usr/ports/x11/XFree86-4 was to be soon deprecated. Seemed like the
correct thing to do.

And, I read a problem report
(http://www.FreeBSD.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=ports/30813) that described
another problem: "Description: XFree86-4 installed as one port installs
libfreetype.so.6 which is in the way after the freetype2 port is
installed. This does not happen if i install Xfree86-4 in "pieces".

So I'm not sure what is the best path to follow. I've got XFree86-4
installed in "pieces", with a link from /usr/X11R6/lib/libfreetype.so.6
to /usr/local/lib/libfreetype.so.8 and Evolution 1.0.1 works. I
understand the symlink could be a problem in the future with changing
library versions (unless I keep changing the symlink). I could deinstall
the XFree86-4 parts and reinstall the single port, which would provide
libfreetype.so.6.

Is there a "best way" here, or is it whatever works for you?

> > Got a newbie-type question too: It seems that binary upgrades can lead
> > to different version of the same program being installed, and I assume
> > this is even more the case doing a Release upgrade, say from 4.3 to 4.4.
> > I use ports and portupgrade to keep programs current, but what about
> > system files? Is there some place to read how to do this? Is it best
> > done by getting the next release and upgrading through
> > /stand/sysinstall?
>
> I use cvsup to stay -stable with FreeBSD.  This involves rebuilding the
> OS every so often.  For me, it's usually once per week.  The handbook is
> a great source of knowledge on this subject:
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/current-stable.html
>
> "make world" is the best way to update the OS provided you're familiar
> with all the steps.
>
> Joe

Aha, I didn't understand "make world" when I first installed FBSD, but
it makes more sense now. Thanks for the link. Between that chapter,
FreeBSD Unleased, and Release 4.5, I should have plenty to do this
weekend!

mike