Date:      Thu, 18 Oct 2007 13:39:49 +0200
From:      Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>
Cc:        arch@freebsd.org, "Constantine A. Murenin" <cnst@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: sensors fun..

Quoting John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org> (from Wed, 17 Oct 2007 12:45:36 -0400=
):

Without commenting on specific parts of what you wrote, I think we =20
need to clarify something before we proceed.

> Other things that might be nice:
>
> - IWBN to have a userland interface to sensors.  For example, if nothing e=
lse

Here's what I wrote to Julian (with minor modifications) this morning, =20
before I've seen your mail here on arch.

I see several levels of stuff which can be named "sensors framework" here.

One level is in the kernel. It's just an export interface to transfer =20
status data from the kernel to userland. The goal of this framework is =20
IMO to "collect" all this data in the kernel and provide a single =20
point of contact for the userland to query this in-kernel data. That's =20
what the soc project was about. Let's call this kernel sensors =20
framework here.

Then there's something in the userland, what can also be named =20
"sensors framework". This part would be responsible to be a single =20
point of contact to query the status data of the entire system. This =20
userland part would be responsible to collect data which is exported =20
from the kernel, and to collect data from userland stuff. It would =20
provide an interface to be able to query the in-machine data (some =20
people may say SNMP can be used for this). Let's call this =20
single-system sensors framework here.

And then there's something in the network what can be named "sensors =20
framework". This part would be responsible to collect sensor data in =20
the entire (sub-)network and provide an interface to query the data =20
from the entire (sub-)network (an example can be nagios or some =20
commercial offering). Let's call this group-level sensors framework =20
for now.

The term "sensor data" may by ambiguous too. When I talk about sensor =20
data, this can be some data from a device, like =20
temperature/voltage/humidity/tv channel/ rotation speed/pressure =20
level/fill level/coordinates/whatever (what we want to include of this =20
stuff or not I don't talk about, e.g., ATM I don't see a need to =20
provide the TV channel via the sensors framework). Sensor data can =20
also be the status of a subsystem in the kernel, some database related =20
things in userland, the hitrate per second of a webserver, or whatever.

All (more or less) of those things may in the end need to arrive in =20
the group-level sensors framework. Before they arrive there, they =20
ideally arrive in the single-system sensors framework (reduces probing =20
complexity and the amount of work of the person who has to configure =20
the group-level sensors framework). And parts of this stuff was =20
collected from the kernel sensors framework by the single-system =20
sensors framework.

The group-level sensors framework doesn't belong into FreeBSD IMO. For =20
the single-system sensors framework I have no strong opinion (and with =20
bsnmp we may have some sort of this already which just needs to be a =20
little bit extend (MIBs), but this depends upon your needs and =20
expectations).

What I would like to know is where you see problems with the above =20
description and how your proposal fits into this description (if you =20
don't see major flaws in the description).

To me it looks like your proposal spans more than one of the above =20
described layers in one package. It seems you describe what I call =20
single-system sensors framework above. It looks like you want to have =20
this with parts of it in the kernel. I don't think this is a good idea =20
as I don't think userland data should be feed into the kernel. Could =20
you please describe where you see benefits of your architecture =20
compared to the description I provided above?

Bye,
Alexander.

--=20
BOFH excuse #266: