Date:      Sat, 28 Mar 1998 12:18:09 -0600
From:      Kris Kirby <kris@ninbox.ml.org>
To:        dg@root.com
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: OS Comparisons.

David Greenman wrote:

> >>hhmm. I found the characterization for linux-users quite interesting:
> >>        "He needed the stability and power of Unix but didn't
> >>         know enough about Unix to configure FreeBSD. "
> >
> >Especially since I found FreeBSD much easier to properly configure than
> >my Linux system.  'Course, I was running Slackware Linux with a 1.1.56?
> >kernel. :)
> >
> >I found myself in the Linux camp on the survey above, though.  I changed
> >my answers three times and still was characterized as a Linux user.  I'm
> >going to wipe my HDD now and install Red Hat.
>
>    Funny, I didn't answer any of the questions and was put into the Linux
> camp. It's annoying yet interesting that it skips over OS/2 and FreeBSD
> when it decides you're a Linux candidate. I wonder if it always decides
> "linux" is best for you, no matter how you answer the questions? :-)

I've been playing with it for a while and noticed a trend: if four of
the questions are "right," the fifth doesn't matter. It appears to me
that answering only one or two questions will determine the answer.
Shoddy, huh? You have to pick the "reckless" ones to get FreeBSD. Isn't
that nice? So according to C|NET we are all a bunch of caffeine- (or
other substance of choice- ;-) fueled hackers without regard for the
future, but instead living for the rush of the moment? Maybe so...
--

Kris Kirby <kris@airnet.net>