Date:      Fri, 16 Oct 1998 15:10:59 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Jonathan Chen <jonc@pinnacle.co.nz>, Chen Xu <xu@stentor.bu.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Build custom kernel -- really strange

On Friday, 16 October 1998 at 17:56:42 +1300, Jonathan Chen wrote:
> On Fri, 16 Oct 1998, Chen Xu wrote:
>

>> I installed FreeBSD2.2.7 from CD and XFree86 3.3.2 from the same
>> CD, system and x server both were running fine.  However, I am
>> having a strange problem when building my own custom kernel. The
>> reason of doing it was originally to enable iso3 becasue my modem
>> sits in COM4. I followed the handbook 5.2 -5.5, the first two
>> steps 'Config' and 'make .depend' went well, but at the step
>> 'make' strange thing happend: no matter how I change the setting
>> in my new kernel configuration file, set say MYKERNEL, it stopped
>> with the message
>>
>> -----------------------------
>> compiling messages
>> *** Error code 1
>> st.o: undefined symbol "_scsi_..." referenced from text segment
>> cd.o: something similar to avove line
>> dpt_scsi.o:
>> if_cs.o:...
>>
>> stop.
>> ------------------
>>
>> At first, I thought it was just I did wrong thing in configuration
>> file MYKERNEL. But even I changed everything back to exact the
>> GENERIC -- I just copy GENERIC to MYKERNEL with only one line
>> change
>>
>>        ident   MYKERNEL
>>
>> then I do make again, it STILL give me the same result???!! Does
>> that mean even GENERIC config has something wrong? I don't belive
>> that's case. But since I installed my system everything has been
>> runnig fine. I am really puzzled.
>>
>> what's wrong with this and how to fix the problem?
>>
>> Thanks,
>
> Both this and your other email in booting with -c tends to indicate a
> h/w problem with your machine. In most cases like these the culprit is
> bad memory. You may want to investigate the possibility of replacing
> your memory chips.

I disagree.  This looks nothing like bad memory.  Almost certainly
you've removed the line

  controller      scbus0

from your config file.  The fact that this happens with GENERIC as
well suggests that you have accidentally modified the config file.
Since you have the CD, you can check that; if the _scsi* symbols are
the only ones missing, just adding the line above should also do it.

Greg