Date:      Mon, 3 Nov 1997 19:09:12 -0500 (EST)
From:      Gary Kendall <gdk@ccomp.inode.COM>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.COM>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.ORG
Subject:   Re: mv /usr/src/games /dev/null - any objections?

It wasn't too long ago that Jordan K. Hubbard said:
> Unless there are any truly serious objections, I'm going to starting
> campaigning vigorously in core for the complete removal of this rather
> useless collection of games which has gotten us in trouble not once
> but now TWICE upon receipt of a letter from Hasbro's legal council
> stating that we are violating the trademark on "Boggle", a Hasbro
> game.
>
> It looks like the folks at UCB who originally put this collection
> together were as ignorant as it's possible to get about trademarks,
> and I'm sure it's only a matter of time before another game from this
> collection joins the ranks of tetris and boggle as "things which screw
> up our CVS tree when we're forced to remove all traces of the damn
> things."
>
> Adding this to the fact that the "games" there are antiquated and
> probably never actually played by anyone suggests, to me, a strong
> need to simply nuke the bloody things once and for all and stop
> distributing games from anywhere but /usr/ports/games (where fortune,
> arguably one of the few "games" still in wide use, could easily be
> moved).
>
>                     Jordan

I can understand how mixing high-priced corporate lawyers with
public-domain source code can drive you beyond frustration into
the Great Beyond, but scrapping all of the games seems a bit ham
handed.  Why not send any questionable source code to the
corporations in question, and let them make all of thier
objections at once?

And I'm not sure it's necessary to remove all traces of the
game, just all traces of the trademarked word or phrase.

Illegitimati non carborundum.

Regards,
Gary Kendall <gdk@inode.com>

%  The difficult is done immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.  %
%              gdk@ccomp.inode.com  or  gkendall@eddie.mit.edu               %
%  Creative Computing * 96 Forest Street * Danvers, MA 01923 * 978-777-3784  %