Date:      Wed, 11 Apr 2018 18:53:54 +0300
From:      Mehmet Erol Sanliturk <m.e.sanliturk@gmail.com>
To:        Drew Tomlinson <drew@mykitchentable.net>
Cc:        Doug Hardie <bc979@lafn.org>, "questions@freebsd.org" <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: How To Update From 9.1?

On Wed, Apr 11, 2018 at 5:34 PM, Drew Tomlinson <drew@mykitchentable.net>
wrote:

> On 4/10/2018 10:18 PM, Doug Hardie wrote:
>
>> On 10 April 2018, at 18:24, Drew Tomlinson <drew@mykitchentable.net>
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>> I've got an old system I'm trying to get current.
>>>
>>> # uname -a
>>> FreeBSD vm.mykitchentable.net 9.1-RELEASE-p1 FreeBSD 9.1-RELEASE-p1 #0:
>>> Tue May  9 09:19:33 PDT 2017     drew@vm.mykitchentable.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC
>>> amd64
>>>
>>> So I consult the handbook and various list posts and find that I should
>>> be able to use freebsd-update.  Specifically I've done:
>>>
>>> I've tried deleting /var/db/freebsd-update and doing the 'fetch install'
>>> over.  I've tried deleting /usr/src and downloading a new copy of 9.3
>>> source code.
>>>
>>> Overall, I really don't know what I need to do as I've never done a
>>> binary update before.  I don't even know if 'src/src' looks reasonable but
>>> I thought I'd give it a try.  Can anyone point me in the right direction?
>>> I'd appreciate the nudge.
>>>
>> This is a common issue for 9 and earlier systems.  I understand it may
>> also affect some 10s.  Basically there are some patches available in
>> various postings to bug reports.  If you find both of them, it should work,
>> but you have to manually update as line numbers are not consistent.  The
>> easier approach is probably to get a copy of freebsd-update from a newer
>> system.  It's a script so that works fine.  I have used the script from
>> 11.0 to upgrade some 9.x systems.
>>
>> -- Doug
>>

> Thank you for your reply.  I grabbed a copy of freebsd-update from an 11.1
> system that I have and copied it to /usr/sbin/freebsd-update.  However, no
> joy.  After deleting the contents of /var/db/freebsd-update, I did the
> following:
>
> ---BEGIN---
> # freebsd-update fetch install
> src component not installed, skipped
> Looking up update.FreeBSD.org mirrors... 3 mirrors found.
> Fetching public key from update6.freebsd.org... done.
> Fetching metadata signature for 9.1-RELEASE from update6.freebsd.org...
> done.
> Fetching metadata index... done.
> Fetching 2 metadata files... done.
> Inspecting system... done.
> Preparing to download files... done.
>
> No updates needed to update system to 9.1-RELEASE-p24.
>
> WARNING: FreeBSD 9.1-RELEASE-p1 HAS PASSED ITS END-OF-LIFE DATE.
> Any security issues discovered after Wed Dec 31 16:00:00 PST 2014
> will not have been corrected.
>
>  # freebsd-update -r 9.3-RELEASE upgrade
> src component not installed, skipped
> Looking up update.FreeBSD.org mirrors... 3 mirrors found.
> Fetching metadata signature for 9.1-RELEASE from update5.freebsd.org...
> done.
> Fetching metadata index... done.
> Fetching 1 metadata files... done.
> Inspecting system... done.
>
> The following components of FreeBSD seem to be installed:

> [...]

I do not know whether  you considered or not , another way may be to use a
NFS server to update your old computer :

Connect to a NFS server ( another computer ) from old computer .
Copy all of your required files in to a NFS directory ( additional copies
may be much useful in case of failure in a single copy )
Install a new ( desired ) OS in to old computer .
Connect the old computer to the NFS server .
Copy your files to newly installed "old computer" .

I think , for far away upgrade , the above steps are more feasible and safe
.

Thank you very much .

Mehmet Erol Sanliturk