Date:      Fri, 10 Jul 2020 23:33:08 +0200
From:      Emmanuel Vadot <manu@bidouilliste.com>
To:        "Bjoern A. Zeeb" <bz@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        driesm.michiels@gmail.com, freebsd-wireless@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Current state of recent wireless cards

On Thu, 09 Jul 2020 11:36:59 +0000
"Bjoern A. Zeeb" <bz@FreeBSD.org> wrote:

> On 9 Jul 2020, at 11:24, driesm.michiels@gmail.com wrote:
>=20
> Hi Dreis,
>=20
> > I was wondering what the current state of the following wireless cards=
=20
> > is:
> >
> > *	Intel Wireless-AC 9560 (T490 wifi card)
> > *	Intel Wi-Fi 6 AX201 (T14 wifi card)
>=20
> I am currently working under FreeBSD Foundation Sponsorship to get us=20
> full Intel HW support for all the new cards and up to 11ac wireless.
>=20
> The first half is done ( see=20
> https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-wireless/2020-July/009233.htm=
l=20
> ) which is the PCI attachments work, the firmware loads and starts.

 That's a bit optimistic that attach and firmware loading is half of
the work no ?
 I don't know how much linuxkpi layer is needed for 80211 compat but I
guess it's "a lot" ?

>  Now=20
> there?s a dual-case to be finished: net80211 11ac infrastructure to=20
> finish, which Adrian has started the last years, and we?ll see how=20
> much of a Linux compat layer we?ll manage to have (which would also=20
> help other drivers to be ported over more easily). =20

 IIRC Linux have multiple 80211 framework no ?
 I guess your work only focus on one (used by iwlwifi), do you know how
many drivers used the same one ? What about FullMAC drivers like the
SDIO broadcom one used in many ARM SBC, is that using the same
framework ?

> The hope is that we?ll have full 11ac before the end of the year.

 Hope or goal ? :)