Date:      Sun, 6 Mar 2005 19:54:38 +0100
From:      Fabian Keil <freebsd-listen@fabiankeil.de>
To:        "Subhro" <subhro.kar@gmail.com>
Cc:        'freebsd-questions' <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: D-Link NIC.

"Subhro" <subhro.kar@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]

How do you set up the NIC?

I use a small script to load and unload the driver:

#!/bin/sh

case "$1" in

start)
	echo "Activating WLAN"
	kldload ndis
	kldload if_ndis

	ifconfig ndis0 ssid ec60bfg3b4 wepkey 1:0x12345678911234567891123456 wepmode on
	ifconfig ndis0 inet 192.168.1.49

	route add 0.0.0.0 192.168.1.1
	;;
stop)
	echo "Deactivating WLAN"
	kldunload if_ndis
	kldunload ndis
	;;
esac

exit 0

DHCP works as well, but I don't use it.

> > if I try to use dhcp the ip address will just go to zeroes. :\
>

> Are you positive that the DHCP function of your AP works perfectly? I am
> asking thing because I have come across a couple of routers which happily
> routes packets to static IPs but messes everything up as soon as it is asked
> to handle DHCP.

I guess the DHCP server is working, but Gabriel's kernel is lacking "device bpf"
which is needed for dhclient.

Otherwise the IP is set to 0.0.0.0 without error message, just as described.

> Also I strongly feel something fishy in the WLAN interface being detected as
> ndisX instead of wiX.

This is expected behaviour.

Regards
Fabian