Date:      Thu, 18 May 95 14:24:12 MDT
From:      terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
To:        dlr@asylum.org (dlr)
Cc:        SahagunS@aol.com, julian@ref.tfs.com, Questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: SCSI boards and then some.

> > > From what I understand, there is a program/task called 'wine' that when
> > > run from Linux, allows one to run MS-Windows programs.  Does such a thing
> > > exist for freeBSD?
> >
> > Yes, WINE will run under FreeBSD.
> >
> > No, it won't run all Windows programs.
>
> Will it run quicken? Quicken is the only dos/windoz program that I still
> use, everything else has gone to unix!

WINE will not run Quicken on any platform.

WINE is kinda wierd in the way it does coverage percentage reporting;
what they do is run the program until it hits an unimplemented interface,
counting the interfaces hit up to that point.

Then they report n/(n+1) as the coverage percentage, which is invariably
in the high 90th percentile.  This is the same thing that the Lesstif
project (with due respect to the people working on both) does to get
it's coverage percentage of the Motif API.

A more accurate/fair coverage percentage could be generated with a full
branch path analysis of the interfaces a program calls; for a Windows
program, this would mean you would need sources or you would need a
testbed sufficiently complex that it might as well be an implementation
of the ABI instead of a metric gathering mechanism.

Wine is maybe 30% of Windows, and 5% of WIN32S, if you include VXD and
DLL support requirements.

>From my API coverage metrics, Lesstif is edging up on 8% implementation,
while my own code is closing in on 24% (6% shy of the 30% for Wine;
it's arguable whether a Windows or a Motif implementation is more
difficult).  Part of my reason for working on something like this at
all is to document real man-hour requirements for such a project: I
think many of the projects are taking too long to accomplish too
little, something I think you can blame partly on documentation and
partly on starting something without clear goals in mind (the way a
lot of volunteer projects are run).  Of course, this being a free
project itself, I haven't gotten any metrics yet.  8-).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@cs.weber.edu
---
or previous employers.