Date:      Tue, 2 May 2000 01:10:23 +0200
From:      Brad Knowles <blk@skynet.be>
To:        chad@DCFinc.com
Cc:        parag@cgt.com, msmith@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How good is AMI MegaRAID support?

At 4:00 PM -0700 2000/5/1, Chad R. Larson wrote:

>  We're running quite a bit more than 5,000 iops/sec on the EMC Symmetrix
>  box that's replacing the A-3500s.

	Yes, but what's your cost per TB on that platform?  I bet it's a
*hell* of a lot more than Joe paid for his 1.8TB USENET news spool
server he has built!  ;-)

	Seriously, yes you can achieve levels of performance higher than
this, but I believe it is likely to take a fair outlay of cash.

	If all you're doing is building a news spool server and you don't
need "drop a nuclear bomb on it and it still runs" reliability (for
which you pay a hell of a lot of money for), then it's a waste to be
spending that kind of money to get performance that may only be
mildly better than what you could build out of raw components and
software RAID.

>  Just depends on what it is you need done.

	You need to do a proper cost/benefit analysis.  In my case, we
agreed to sign a three year lease on this thing sight unseen, and it
has taken a hell of a lot of work (mostly me by myself) to get this
damn thing significantly above the 1000 iops/sec, and most of the
benefit has come from adding software striping+mirroring with vinum
on top of the hardware.

	Had we spent a bit more time doing the proper legwork up front,
we might have been able to get a lot more disk space for a lot less
money, and gotten equal or better performance to boot.