Date:      Sat, 18 Aug 2001 14:17:39 -0500
From:      Will Andrews <will@physics.purdue.edu>
To:        Jim Bryant <kc5vdj@yahoo.com>
Cc:        Patrick Oonk <patrick@pine.nl>, FreeBSD Ports <ports@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: kcheckpass problem in kde2 port

On Sat, Aug 18, 2001 at 06:35:04AM -0500, Jim Bryant (kc5vdj@yahoo.com) wrote:
> I assume that you are installing from the kde.org "package"...

..which I built.

> 1). in /usr/ports/x11/kdebase2, compile kcheckpass, then install it.
> 2). add a kde rule in /etc/login.conf
>
> This DOES NOT have to be suid!
>
> ---x--x--x  1 root  wheel  32771 Aug 18 03:05 /usr/local/bin/kcheckpass
>
> those are the perms I assigned, and it does work.

Unfortunately, this sort of modification still requires
operations outside of the package system's responsibility.  I
will test things and commit something to the effect of advising a
user how to make the necessary modifications in the cleanest
possible way.

> My theory on this is that kde.org's "package" was compiled on
> -CURRENT pre-PAM change.  I could be wrong, and it may have been the

No.  It was compiled on 4.3-STABLE as of July 22.  I don't
compile packages for kde.org when it won't run on most people's
systems.  Not very many people use -CURRENT (although I do).  And
even fewer that would use KDE on their machine run it.

> Since I can't get kdebase built, because meinproc keeps having
> signal 11's, I am having to use the precompiled "package" over at
> kde.org.  Anyone having this problem with meinproc?

I've seen several reports of it.  But I have no idea where the
problem lies, because it doesn't happen on my system, and nobody
is giving me access to theirs to figure it out, or making the
effort to gdb the coredump by meinproc to figure it out.  My best
guess is that for some reason or another on your system, meinproc
is being linked with the wrong libxml so it has the right symbols
but the wrong functions.

--
wca