Date:      Thu, 25 Oct 2001 19:03:30 -0600
From:      Brad Huntting <huntting@hunkular.glarp.com>
To:        Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 64 bit times revisited..

> sizeof(time_t) exposed:
>   /etc/pwd.db (pw_change, pw_expire)
>   /var/run/utmp (ut_time)
>   /var/log/lastlog (ll_time)
>   /var/db/acct (ac_btime - begin time of a process)
	These files are rarely, if ever seen by other machines, so
	it would be easy enough to either convert, delete, or
	recreate them at upgrade time.

>   dump/restore tape format  (spcl. c_data, d_ddate, etc)
	This should probably change hand in hand with ufs.

> notable exceptions where times are explicitly sized:
>   ufs inode format (has ufs_time_t == 32 bits explicitly)
	Upgrading ufs and dump/restore to "big time" can be
	independent of other FreeBSD "big time" issues.  After all,
	ufs has other size limitations, most notably ino_t which
	will begin biting long before 2038.

>   nfs (uses 32 bit timestamps in v3, and 64 bit on v4 (I believe)).
	This is something we cant change without forsaking
	interoperability, so let's not worry about it.

> notable exceptions where times are *ambiguous*:
>   rpc on-the-wire (both int, u_int, long and u_long timestamps (!))
>   yp/nis (uses u_long ctime, mtime - see struct nis_oid)
	Like nfs, we may need to corrupt time_t to 32 bits for some
	of these to maintain interoperability, but we cant expect
	to change established Internet protocols before upgrading
	to 64 bit time_t.

> So..  What do people think?  Let the bikeshedding begin...

I dont see that switching all platforms to 64 bit time_t is that
big a deal.  Is time_t really that much more trouble than off_t?

brad