Date:      Thu, 15 Jul 2004 23:19:04 -0500
From:      Jon Noack <noackjr@alumni.rice.edu>
To:        re@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: 5.3-RELEASE TODO

On 07/15/04 09:24, Robert Watson wrote:
> Desired features for 5.3-RELEASE
>
>  +------------------------------------------------------------------------+
>  |      Issue      |   Status    |  Responsible   |      Description      |
>  |-----------------+-------------+----------------+-----------------------|
>  |                 |             |                | A process cannot be   |
>  |                 |             |                | interrupted while     |
>  |                 |             |                | waiting on a lock.    |
>  | rpc.lockd(8)    |             |                | Fixing this requires  |
>  | stability       | --          | --             | that the RPC code be  |
>  |                 |             |                | taught how to deal    |
>  |                 |             |                | with lock             |
>  |                 |             |                | cancellation and      |
>  |                 |             |                | interruption events.  |
>  +------------------------------------------------------------------------+

Interesting note on this:
I have my home directory NFS mounted from another -CURRENT box.  If I
enable NFS locking and am running a ULE kernel on the client, I am
unable to log into KDE.  It accepts my password but hangs before the
splash/loading screen appears.  I can switch to a console and login
there without issues, so NFS isn't completely dead.  Strangely, using a
4BSD kernel works fine.  This is repeatable on my box (at least it
happened the 2 times I tried each kernel so far).

Hmm, it appears that rpc.lockd died on the server end (at some point,
anyway).  I have a .core but it doesn't appear like it's finding any
debug symbols.  I build everything with -g, so I don't know why it
can't.  I'll keep the core around in case anyone cares.  Sounds like the
problems may already be known, so if it's not useful please let me know.

Jon

$ gdb /usr/sbin/rpc.lockd rpc.lockd.core
GNU gdb 6.1.1 [FreeBSD]
conditions.
This GDB was configured as "i386-marcel-freebsd"...(no debugging symbols
found)...
Core was generated by `rpc.lockd'.
Reading symbols from /usr/lib/librpcsvc.so.2...(no debugging symbols
found)...done.
Loaded symbols for /usr/lib/librpcsvc.so.2
Reading symbols from /lib/libutil.so.4...(no debugging symbols
found)...done.
Loaded symbols for /lib/libutil.so.4
Reading symbols from /lib/libc.so.5...(no debugging symbols found)...done.
Loaded symbols for /lib/libc.so.5
Reading symbols from /libexec/ld-elf.so.1...(no debugging symbols
found)...done.
Loaded symbols for /libexec/ld-elf.so.1
#0  0x0804ca84 in ?? ()
(gdb)