Date:      Wed, 21 Mar 2001 22:09:05 -0800 (PST)
From:      Larry Librettez <lipshitz909@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-qa@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   4.3-BETA won't su to root in X terminal

After upgrading to 4.3-BETA, I find I cannot su to
root in a terminal window (rxvt, xterm) in X
(XFree86-3.3.6 with either GNOME or KDE).  Even if I
enter the correct password, the su login gets rejected
(and yes, user is member of wheel group). The logs
report `BAD SU LIPSHITZ to root on ttyp0`.  However,
in a plain terminal (not  in X), I CAN su to root as a
regular user. Prior to upgrading to  4.3-BETA (kernel
+ userland), I was able to su to root in X in
4.2-STABLE.   I tried adding `secureī after the ttyp
entries in /etc/ttys but that didnīt help. I did both
mergemaster and MAKEDEV all during my rebuild.  I
specifically re-made the ttyp* devices.  I even typed
out the su password on the terminal to make sure it
shows correctly and it does.  On a separate box using
4.2-STABLE I upgraded only the kernel to 4.3-BETA
(same 4.2-STABLE userland), and the problem still
occurred - couldnīt su to root in an X terminal.

Is the problem in the kernel?  A bug?  A DoS?  I
cvsupīd 5 times and rebuilded 5 times (I am now up to
4.3-RC) with no change in this problem.

How do I fix this?