Date:      Fri, 2 Apr 1999 16:06:36 -0500
From:      Kevin Rooney <Kevin_Rooney@sw.cc.va.us>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Could Not Start Apache on FreeBSD

I have 1.3.4 running, and I had the same prob.  Basically, I start it
with /usr/local/apache/src/httpd -f /usr/local/apache/conf/httpd.conf
(this is in my rc.local file at startup) but your path may be different.
Out of the box it was trying to use a httpd.conf file in a different
location than the one I edited.