Date:      Fri, 21 Dec 2001 14:21:50 +0200
From:      Maxim Sobolev <sobomax@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Ernst de Haan <znerd@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Starting a service after installation?

Ernst de Haan wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> How should services like an application server (i.e. www/orion or
> www/jakarta-tomcat) be started at boot time?
>
> I was thinking we could something like this, for example for www/orion:
> 1) During installation, install a script in ${PREFIX}/etc/rc.d. In this case
> orion.sh. Make it +x so it can be executed. The www/orion port (and a lot of
> other ports) already do this.
> 2) Make the script so that it checks if it should be started by reading
> /etc/rc.conf and /etc/defaults/rc.conf. For example, for www/orion, it could
> check for "start_orion". If this variable is not found, then the service is
> perhaps not started (or should it) ? If the variable *is* found then the
> service will only be started if the value matches [Yy][Ee][Ss]
>
> I'm also assuming that starting a service right after installation is a Bad
> Thing^TM. What about a 'make run' ? ;`/

Usually FreeBSD ports use different strategy. The service installs
startup script into /usr/local/etc/rc.d, in the case when the service
is expected to be "on" right after installation this script is named
fooservice.sh, but when the service is to be disable by default - the
script is named fooservice.sh.sample. The script should take either
"start" or "stop" argument - the former automatically supplied by
/etc/rc.* during a machine startup, while the latter - during a
shutdown. You can find plenty of examples in the ports tree usable as
a template for such script.

And I don't really think that you need something like `make run'
because it's not much easier than direct call to appropriate script.
Instead you could tweak the port to emit during post-install a message
saying that the user should run `${PREFIX}/etc/rc.d/fooservice start'
if he want to start the service right now.

-Maxim