Date:      Tue, 13 Jun 1995 12:39:02 +0800 (CST)
From:      Brian Tao <taob@gate.sinica.edu.tw>
To:        Evan Champion <evanc@synapse.net>
Cc:        hackers@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: Problem with 2940 SOLVED

On Mon, 12 Jun 1995, Evan Champion wrote:

> Guess what the problem was.
>
> Dead SIMM.

    Sounds like a problem I had with one of my machines when I first
installed 2.0.5-ALPHA on it.  It was a brand new motherboard, but I
was getting random crashes and kernel panics while installing.  The
master partition editor screen had an extra '0' printed in one
character cell, while the colour dialog screens did not.  I couldn't
figure out what was causing the problem, because an identical machine
sitting next to it breezed through the install.

    After I inspected the motherboard, I noticed the metal clips that
hold a SIMM in place were broken, and the SIMM (although held in
place) was wobbly.  Exchanged the motherboard the next day and all the
problems disappeared.  Bad contacts can cause weird stuff.  Reminds me
of Apple's field maintenance suggestion for their Apple III's:  life
the computer about a foot above a hard, flat surface, then drop.
Reseat chips as necessary.  ;-)
taob@gate.sinica.edu.tw <-- work ........ play --> taob@io.org