Date:      Sun, 24 Oct 2004 07:27:16 -0500
From:      "Donald J. O'Neill" <donaldj1066@fastmail.fm>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Portinstall question

On Sunday 24 October 2004 05:44 am, Bill Schmitt (SW) wrote:
> I think I'm missing something basic, so if someone could point me
> to where that is, I would appreciate it. I been installing
> software using portinstall, but I think I'm missing something
> basic because there seems to be more guesswork involved that I
> expected there to be.
>
> How do you know what name to use for the portinstall to work? For
> example, I wanted to install MySQL 41. The folders under
> /usr/ports/databases include several variations on my-sql. Among
> others are mysql323-server, mysql40-server, mysql41-server, and
> mysql50-server. In the Makefile for mysql41 it states PORTNAME?=
> mysql. But trying "portinstall mysql" or "portinstall mysql41" or
> "portinstall mysql41-server" all result in a message that the
> port doesn't exist. The command that works is "portinstall
> mysql-server", which I found with a basic google search, but I
> don't find that in the descriptions or Makefiles. Looking just at
> what is in the ports tree (or anywhere else on a 4.9 system),
> where would I properly find that name?

Hi Bill,

I was just wondering why you would want to use portinstall to
install new software, rather than (using your example port):
 cd /usr/ports/databases/mysql-server41
 make install
Is using portinstall magical in some way? If you use the make
install method, there isn't any guesswork as to what name to use.

Don

--
Donald J. O'Neill
donaldj1066@fastmail.fm