Date:      Sun, 29 Apr 2001 15:55:51 -0700 (MST)
From:      "Orville R. Weyrich.Jr" <orville@weyrich.com>
To:        Vallo Kallaste <vallo@matti.ee>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: RAID

Thanks for the pointer, but I have a new problem:  The man pages say:

     vinum drives are UNIX disk partitions and must have the
partition type vinum. This is different from ccd, which expects
partitions of type 4.2BSD.

How do I create a partition type vinum?  FreeBSD fdisk seems to want a
number not a name (e.g FreeBSD = 165).  What number do I use for vinum?

Thanks

orville.

On Tue, 3 Apr 2001, Vallo Kallaste wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 03, 2001 at 01:16:10AM -0700, "Orville R. Weyrich, JR." <orville@weyrich.com> wrote:
>
> > I happen to have come by six identical 4.3 GB SCSI hard drives, and was
> > wondering about an inexpensive way to make a FreeBSD server that uses
> > them.  My manual on FreeBSD covers version 3.2 -- I realize there are
> > newer versions, but my search of the FreeBSD web site doesn't turn up my
> > answer.
> >
> > Is there a way to implement RAID-5 with a couple standard SCSI
> > controllers (the kind at eBay for under $100) or do I need to buy a
> > specialized RAID-5 controller card?
> >
> > Am I asking for too much?  :-)  If it isn't too much, where do I go from
> > here?
>
> You can use vinum volume manager, look at
> http://www.vinumvm.org/
>
> Use recent -stable for implementing vinum and beware that RAID-5 is
> considered somewhat buggy, at least that's what I gather from
> postings in the lists. Use two controllers, three disks each.
> --
>
> Vallo Kallaste
> vallo@matti.ee

IF YOU WANT REFORM >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> VOTE REFORM
Orville R. Weyrich, Jr.                 Weyrich Computer Consulting
mailto:orville@weyrich.com     KD7HJV        http://www.weyrich.com
Visit our online collection of book reviews:

		  http://www.weyrich.com/book_reviews/

Ask about our world wide web services!