Date:      Fri, 23 Aug 2013 11:35:40 +0100
From:      David Chisnall <theraven@FreeBSD.org>
To:        =?iso-8859-1?Q?Bernhard_Fr=F6hlich?= <decke@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        toolchain@FreeBSD.org, John-Mark Gurney <jmg@funkthat.com>, "re@FreeBSD.org Engineering Team" <re@FreeBSD.org>, current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: patch to add AES intrinsics to gcc

On 23 Aug 2013, at 10:58, Bernhard Fr=F6hlich <decke@freebsd.org> wrote:

> I don't know if you are aware that IF you really do that we will have =
serious
> problems to ship packages for 10. USE_GCC=3Dany is the fallback in the
> portstree for all ports that are unable to build with clang which was =
introduced
> when HEAD switched to clang as default cc. Right now there are 150 =
ports in
> the tree that use this fallback and quite a few of them are high =
profile ports:
>=20
> the highlights:
> audio/nas devel/mingw32-binutils emulators/qemu =
emulators/virtualbox-ose
> emulators/wine lang/go lang/v8 mail/courier math/fftw3 =
multimedia/libxine
> multimedia/gstreamer multimedia/gstreamer-plugins multimedia/x264
> security/clamav
>=20
> the full list:
> http://dpaste.com/1354075/
>=20
> A possible hack could be to add a check for USE_GCC=3Dany to behave =
like
> a USE_GCC=3Dyes on HEAD on the affected platforms. This pulls in =
lang/gcc
> from ports for a lot of people on HEAD I suppose.
>=20
> We certainly need to do that switch to remove the ancient gcc from =
base
> some time but with my portmgr hat on I can only say we don't plan to =
do that
> before 10.0 especially not if we are only talking about a few weeks =
time window.

That is unfortunate.  We have said for over a year that 10.0 should not =
ship with gcc.  I can delay committing the patch to flip the switch =
until later in the code slush, if re approves, but ports that require =
gcc should be building with gcc from ports (which will also improve code =
quality, as gcc 4.6/7 produce significantly better code than 4.2.1).

David