Date:      Sun, 22 Oct 2017 19:21:09 -0400
From:      Eric McCorkle <eric@metricspace.net>
To:        Shawn Webb <shawn.webb@hardenedbsd.org>
Cc:        "freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org" <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org>, freebsd-security@freebsd.org, freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Trust system write-up

Accidentally replied to -arch only, re-replying to all lists

On 10/22/2017 18:31, Shawn Webb wrote:
> I'm curious about the rational behind not requiring expiration of
> trusted root key material.

So, I'd say consider most of this written in pencil at this point (minus
the signed ELF extension; I think that's a particularly good point in
design space).

My thinking on root keys is that there really ought to only be one for a
given system, but I'm not so convinced of that that I'd bake it into the
spec.  Certainly, though, you need at least one good root key to stay
operational.  If you have expiring root keys, you get into all sorts of
nasty cases where your last root key expires, forcing the system down,
or a system can't be booted because its root keys all expired.  And
expiring root keys + can't add more root keys means every system
effectively has a countdown to running out of root keys.

I didn't mention it, but I could see provisions for adding/revoking root
keys that hook into some sort of deeper hardware mechanism, say TPMs.  I
think that's out-of-scope for now, but it's worth thinking about.
Perhaps expiring root keys could be added along with a mechanism like this.

> Can jails contain a different trust chain than the host?

I hadn't really folded jails into this yet, but I'd say that's a
definite requirement.  It kind of kills the whole virtualization
capability of jails if you can't do that.

I'd say you'd probably want jails to have the option to inherit their
parent's trust DB, as well as establish their own root keys.